Friday, February 6, 2015

Module 4-Typography

This week was another adventure with CorelDraw7 but include a hard lesson in the value of different fonts as the main focus was typography. I call it an adventure because it really tests my patience until I am practically done with the project and then there is an ah-ha moment and I completely appreciate the software. The task this time around was to create a map of Marathon Key, Florida from a basic Adobe Illustrator file that contained the outline of the landmass.

 I struggled with the labeling for hours until I finally understood how to utilize the layers feature in Corel. After setting up different layers for water features, islands, the legend, essential map elements, and the map itself the project was much easier to complete. I turned off certain elements while editing others and used the visibility function when trying to select particular features that were difficult to click on.

Aside from just learning the software a little better, my favorite part of this exercise was creating my own little shape in order to depict the whole area of Curry Hammock State Park. I'm pretty proud of that green little polygon. I am no graphic designer but I truly do appreciate all of the work that goes into designing little maps on the back of pamphlets all the way through huge charts that take up a whole wall. This stuff is not easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment