Thursday, March 26, 2015

Week 10- Vector Analysis

For the last two weeks in Intro2GIS I worked with ArcMap to conduct vector analysis. I practiced identifying ans selecting features based off of their proximity to other features, working with file geodatabases instead of standard shapefiles, creating buffers around existing features, and using multiple attributes to analyze datasets. The map graphic I created this week shows potential areas for campsites based on their proximity to roads, surface water features, and existing conservation areas.

In order to identify these locations I used the Buffer Tool in ArcToolbox and created buffers around the existing feature classes for roads and surface water features. After creating the buffers I combined the using the Overlay Intersect Tool to find areas that met all of the proximity criteria. Then I used the Overlay Erase Tool to remove any areas that fell within known conservation areas. In addition to using the tools available in ArcToolbox I also dabbled with a little Python Scripting to run multiple buffer processes at the same time. I can see now that Python will be an invaluable time saver once I get a little more comfortable with it. Fortunately it is pretty user friendly inside ArcMap and if you make a mistake in the code, it will point out your error when the program tells you it is unable to run the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment