Friday, May 22, 2015

Module 1- An Intro to Python

The summer semester has started and I just took my first look at Python! Python scripting as a concept makes complete sense to me but I have a feeling it is going to be a lot more tricky in practice. We used one script that the instructor provided in the Intro2GIS course last semester and it was easy to see the value in knowing how to use this language so I am excited to work through this course.

For the introduction to programming (for GIS more specifically) we used a Python script to set up the folder structure of our individual student drives on the remote GIS desktop that we use. I knew the tech guys at my last job knew how to do this stuff but I had no idea how to do it myself until now. Our lab walked us through how to use the basic functions of WinPython and then we were provided with a script to use to create our folder structure. Here is a look at the folder structure for everyone in the class --
The Standard Folder Structure for UWF's GISProgramming Course

We also had to write a pseudocode for a fairly simple math function. This step took me back a few years to basic algebra where my instructor regularly reinforced the idea of showing all of your work. I think that is going to be one of the most important things for me to remember as I continue through this programming endeavor, all of the work needs to be written out or the code will not work. I know sometimes I take shortcuts or overlook the simple steps that are always used to solve a problem but missing these little bits could cause big problems, like missing out on a piece of analysis that I was I expecting to be done in ArcGIS. I hope I didn't just jinx myself because I am eager to develop some Python scripting skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment