Monday, June 1, 2015

Lab 2 - Corridor Analysis

This week was a look at something totally new for me in the GIS applications realm, least-cost paths and corridor analysis. The lab consisted of two parts. The first section was creating a least-cost path based off of one raster input, then two then three. I used the Cost Distance Tool, Cost Path Tool, and Plus Tool in the ArcGIS Spatial Analyst Toolbox to create the paths. I assigned a cost to each cell in each raster dataset using the Reclassify Tool. I do not feel as confident about this section as I have about other applications so I think a little more practice will be in order.

The second part of the lab used the same tools to model a movement corridor for black bears based off of three input rasters. The input data were elevation, landcover, and roads. After reclassifying these layers to assign a cost value to each cell I used the Weighted Overlay Tool to combine the three with the landcover weighted higher than the other two. Then I had to invert the costs so I used the Minus Tool to accomplish the task. Once the cost surface was complete I ran the Cost Distance Tool for both of the National Forests pictured in the graphic below. I used the resulting cost rasters to run the Corridor Tool to identify the most suitable corridor for the black bear. My final results are pictured below.

Black Bear Corridor

No comments:

Post a Comment